Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)This refers to the 9th edition published in 2010. I'm absolutely frustrated with this publisher's lack of editing before printing the latest edition. There are frequent errors, on average one per chapter, mostly spanning the workbook and online quiz answers. Less frequently are textbook facts and figures that need clarification when they change slightly between chapters or within the chapter (same item covered more than once but stated differently.) The type of errors in the answer sections to the workbook and online quizzes are transposed letters for multiple choice answers, mistaken terms - often opposite meanings such as medial instead of lateral, lap belt instead of shoulder belt, and simply wrong answers in words, letters or numbers. In the textbook itself, there is some amount of confusion created when precise figures change between the text to the accompanying diagrams - which I've found on four occasions. For example, Ch. 29 p. 959 and 960 on categorizing burn severity. Classification for children is by age of less than 10 years old on p. 959 Figure 29-2 but switches to less than 5 years old in the table 29-1 on p. 960.
Is it so important to know whether a burn severity category is defined by age 10 versus 5? Not in the actual treatment of the burned child. But since EMT certification is based on a national registry multiple choice exam, I'd really like the specifics to be well defined and correct. A few errors I can understand- but this appears like a rush job to go to print when a lot of cut and pasting was done from a previous edition, where parts were updated to reflect minor changes in the protocol or scientific data but not every instance checked through out the text.
See end of this review for the workbook corrections I have noted.
I attempted to log each website multiple choice quiz question error to the support team and each was met with an automated response to provide further documentation, after I'd already detailed the page number, paragraph, incorrect statement or answer and the correct answer or typo I believed to be needed. Like I was going to waste further time trying to get a real person to read my carefully researched reporting. My professor, who's taught several versions of this book, is as tired of this as I am.
Workbook mistakes: Ch. 7 Terms and Concepts 1. l should be sagittal or medial (not lateral.) Ch. 10 45 d explanation refers to carbon dioxide attaching to hemoglobin. Should be carbon monoxide. Ch. 20 Case Study question 4. Correct answer is A instead of D. Ch. 24, question 32 answer is D. Could also be B. Ch. 33 Terms and Concepts, question 1. Answers to 1 h and 1 i are reversed. 1h is 5. 1i is 6. Ch. 33 question 16 answer is D not C. Push or pull in opposite direction not same direction. I'm sure more are to come.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Prehospital Emergency Care (9th Edition)
The most complete resource for EMT-B training, this best-selling, reader-friendly book contains clear, step-by-step explanations with comprehensive, stimulating, and challenging material that prepares and equips users for real on-the-job situations. With its use of the case study model, state-of-the-art scans, algorithms, protocols, and the inclusion of areas above and beyond the DOT protocols, this new, 9th edition of Prehospital Emergency Care prepares users for success. The assessment and emergency care sections provide the most up-to-date strategies for providing competent care; and the enrichment sections further enhance readers' ability to assess and manage ill and injured patients in prehospital environments. Topics covered include an excellent introductory section that contains an overview of the human body, baseline vital signs, history taking, and ethical and legal issues. Subsequent chapters cover the airway; patient assessment; medical, behavioral, and obstetrics/gynecology; trauma; infants and children; operations; and advanced airway management.
Click here for more information about Prehospital Emergency Care (9th Edition)
0 comments:
Post a Comment