New KornShell Command And Programming Language, The (2nd Edition) Review

New KornShell Command And Programming Language, The (2nd Edition)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
I make my living writing Korn shell, and of all the books on Korn, this is the one I could least do without.
Pros: I've known people to buy this book simply for its back cover, as the index of topics on the back is enough to dig up information on the topics covered. The book is dense, not a tutorial really, more a reference text for ksh related topics. This is a book to be read on an as-needed basis, a cookbook for the "how do I get -this- to work!?" crowd.
Cons: I don't recommend it as anyone's first programming book. Even for the systems administrator, I'd recommend Nemeth et al. and Aeleen Frisch's books on administration as supplements for Unix related topics. There are essential things about shells and shell scripting (statically linked versus dynamically linked shells) that will never be learned in a shell programming book, that are critical to knowing when and where a shell language can be used.

Click Here to see more reviews about: New KornShell Command And Programming Language, The (2nd Edition)

This is a Second Edition of the best-selling guide to the KornShell command and programming language by the original inventors of the language. It provides a specification for the KornShell language, tutorial material for those new to ksh (the program that implements the KornShell language), and a comprehensive reference for all ksh users. Covers major new additions to the KornShell language ksh93 (including command completion and a key binding mechanism); provides tutorials for both of the functions of ksh (as an interactive command language, and as a programming language); contains numerous examples illustrating the features of ksh; and features a Quick Reference summary of the KornShell language with page references to the book. For both new users with little shell experience, and for experienced computer users who are familiar with ksh and/or other shells. ISBN of 1st Edition: 0-13-516972-02.

Buy NowGet 25% OFF

Click here for more information about New KornShell Command And Programming Language, The (2nd Edition)

0 comments:

Post a Comment